The vision, mission and core values of the institute demonstrates the importance placed upon research activities within the University.
The University of Nairobi has established research institutes in focus areas of expertise, which are inter-disciplinary centers of excellence in research and development. The university also hosts a number of Centers of Excellence which have been set up by the government or private stakeholders in collaboration with the University to serve the region.
- African Women Studies Centre
- Centre for Advance Studies in Environmental Law and Policy (CASELAP)
- Centre for Biotechnology and Informatics (CEBIB)
- Centre for Urban Research and Innovations
- Institute of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies (IAGAS)
- Institute of Climate Change and Adaptation (ICCA)
- Institute for Development Studies (IDS)
- Institute of Nuclear Science & Technology
- KAVI Institute of Clinical Research
- Population Studies and Research Institute (PSRI)
- University of Nairobi Institute of Tropical and Infectious Diseases (UNITID)
- Wangari Maathai Institute for Peace and Environmental Studies (WMI)
- Africa Coordinating Centre for Abandonment of Female Genital Mutilation (A.C.C.A.F.)
- Centre for HIV Prevention and Research (CHIVPR)